Pages

Friday 29 January 2016

Bad Day.


Couple of week ago during my semester vacation, as usual I was accompanying my princess to drop her to the bus station on her way back to home after her office work.  The winter evening was ruled by cold, clouded sky and busy town, where whole of my attentions were drawn by the freezing cold that penetrated even to the reach of bone shivering my body abnormally. 

On way back rushing to home, as it happen I met one of my good friend in the middle of town. We had fairly conversation about random topics and some minute later we decided  to go to one nearby restaurant for the cup of coffee and were having some usual talk about our day to day life activities. It was a sweet moment for both of us having to spend an hour together talking and sharing on infinite topics after such long duration after we graduated from higher secondary, though it was short time.

He was on his way back to home after a long awaited day at hospital from the morning. I asked him ‘what really the matter was.’  

He responded “Nothing serious. Actually a year ago, I had a cut in my feet while playing soccer and I have a pain which I didn’t experience till now.” 

With gasp, he continued, “You know, rather of coming in relieve i am really pissed with a doctor today.”

Why? What happen? I asked him.

He replied me, “I waited enduring with all of my energy for the whole day with hope for a good checkup, and as my number was called, I got a chance to meet a doctor, but that wasn’t as good as I expected to be”

“You know, in respect to my poor national language, somehow I shared my problems and issue to a doctor with Dzonglish( English and Dzongkha mixed) for his better understanding of my problem saying ‘it’s a year ago when I had a cut in my feet and up till now I didn’t have a serious infections as such, but kha tsha kham nyim lay na ne gho tshu yi la (I got pain starting from past few days) . But do you know what doctor told me. Instead of firstly taking my problems into consideration, he humored me saying “oh choe ghi dzongkha ma shep drey si no yi, she bhay bha tay mosh” (I thought you don’t know Dzongkha, but you did speak right?)  I couldn’t believe my ears seeing a professionalized man humoring me and moreover I didn’t see a problem speaking a language if it makes sense to him.

‘Yeah damn true’ with smile I responded him.

Chuckling, he continued again “ Knowing the fact he isn’t really in a favor of a patient speaking English, I regard my problems in Dzongkha trying my best after he prescribed me medicine saying, if I have to worry about the pain or not?  But that was again more sick to my skull when he responded very rudely saying ‘When you could wait for a year, can’t you simply do that for five days?’

I broke into huge irresistible laughter.

He then continued "Seriously its a truth and he did responded like that and I really couldn’t believe when such words are spoken by the educated people and moreover he was a doctor, a noble profession as his carrier was.” and at last smilingly softly he said“maybe his bad day and my bad luck”

I felt sorry him after hearing story of all his awaited day for the checkup and when what he has waited for wasn’t up to what he was waiting for as a patient.

By then, it was already 6 PM in the evening when we stood up from the chair and as we wave good bye to each other, he jokingly teased me saying “don’t be a jerk when you’re working in a hospital” and with laughter at peak we departed.

P.s; Not my intention to hurt or harm feeling of anyone with the story but as a medical student I believe, whole package of good prescription and treatment won’t also be able suffice to treat a disease if a patient isn’t given a sufficient hope and advises they seek. 



No comments:

Post a Comment